Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Therapy

Today was a rough day to say the least. It started off well, but seemed to go down hill with each hour. Today I met with my CC to run our 3 miles after school.

Before we took off running CC told me that we weren't going to focus on time today that we needed to focus on something else...I thought maybe she would say something about my posture or another running technique that I would learn. But what she said I couldn't have needed more. She said, "Deaton, today the only thing I want you to focus on is being out here and that you are running today." I really needed that!! Normally on a stressful day I would turn to food, but not today. Normally I would eat a few bowls of butter pecan ice cream and stuff my face all night while thinking about what a bad day I had. I am now making myself hungry so I am going to stop writing about food.

 So,  she did teach me a technique: Even on the worst days, I need to focus on that I am getting my stress out in a healthy way. She also told me that on this run I was going to talk most of the time. So when I got done running I felt healthy and like I just visited with a therapist!!

I felt really slow running today and I just felt like I was weak. I obviously didn't think about my time at all, I was too busy talking about my bad day. At the end of the run I just knew that my time was going to be something completely different then what it was last week. I couldn't believe it when it was the same!! I was really excited.

It is amazing how every run is so different. That is kind of the nice thing about it.

2 comments:

  1. That is great! I can barely talk when I run. I'm too busy huffing and puffing. Probably from that pesky 15 years of smoking a pack a day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did great... especially since you could talk this time and last time we ran that fast you weren't breathing so stable. :)

    ReplyDelete